The Brassey Centre was created from the infants school building in 1996. The KCC (Kent County Council) relinquished their lease with the Brassey Trust when the Old Vicarage was converted to create a school alongside the existing school.
The school was built in 1856 by Lord Brassey to provide education for the children of the village. In 1944 as a result of the Education Act the KCC became responsible for the school and paid rent to the Brassey Trust for its use.
The infants' school and the surrounding land are owned by the Brassey Trust. The Trust was set up in 1905 by Lord Brassey (1st Baron Brassey of Apelthorpe) and Reverend A. Thorndike to perpetuate the memory of the Brassey family who had lived in Preston Hall, with the specific objective of supporting the work of the Church of St Peter and St Paul's in the parish of Aylesford.
With this in mind the Trustees agreed to create a Parish Hall to be named after the Brassey family. The church rents the parish hall from the Brassey Trust as part of the support.
The centre contains our Parish Office. Also, there is a main hall available for hire; our current regular hirers include a children's group, slimming clubs and Friendship Group. Many families hire the main hall for weddings and parties. There is also a second room which is hired out permanently to the Brassey Bazaar.
To hire the hall please contact:
Tel: 01622 719366 (Tues and Thurs 9am - 2pm)